On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:57:55PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> I'm just going to try and buy another 3TB drive as soon as I can.  I may
> even make it into a removable thingy.  Then I can make backups and just
> put it in a outbuilding.  By the way, my outbuilding is pretty far from

For such use, I am planning to get an external SATA dock, rather than use
a “removable thingy”. You pop in the naked drive and stow that away after
you’re done. This has multiple advantages. For one, you can read SMART data
from the external drives, provided you use a SATA connection. Cou can’t do
that over USB. So if your board has an eSATA connector, get an external dock
such as <http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1277>.
If it doesn’t, you can get an internal one for a 5¼″ slot in the front of
your case, like http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1281 for one 3.5″ HDD, or
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-qp-intern-multi for both big and
small HDDs (plus some USB3 connectors, if your case doesn’t have them but
your board provides a header).

Those docks are only slightly more expensive than an external case, but you
can use them for all your drives, not just a single one, and you have no
hassle with countless external power supplies (“which one did go into which
case?”).

PS: I’m not saying you should get a Sharkoon, after all I haven’t bought it
yet myself. But their site shows nicely what’s available and gives me ideas.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Please don’t befuddle me with facts, my mind is set.