On Saturday 24 Jan 2015 18:18:36 Dale wrote:

> Since I already replaced this drive, nothing lost.  We did learn
> something tho.  Just because it claims to have fixed itself doesn't mean
> it will be a long term solution.  ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Your repeated dd action probably relocated some bad blocks.

I would also run a long test overnight to see where and how it fails.  I
recently had a drive which went sideways on me.  Running dd was successful in
relocating some problematic sectors.  However, repeating the smart tests
revealed that more and more sectors were going bad.  I recall a warning that a
catastrophic drive failure was imminent, when reading the output of 'smartctl
-a'.

Instead of dd'ing the whole drive, just dd the suspect sector and repeat the
smart tests to see how things move around.  I concur with other posters that
this drive should only be used for experimentation, rather than production or
back ups.

--
Regards,
Mick