Bob Wya wrote:
> It would be far better to use Spinrite (like I mentioned before) - to
> allow a really low level access to the drive. While Spinrite is
> running the HDD will not be able to automatically relocate sectors.
> I've been blown away how effective this piece of software is - even
> when run with (apparently) very knackered Maxtor drives!! It was like
> they were brought back from the dead...

Hey Bob,

I don't see the point in buying software to test this when I'm already
certain I will not depend on it for anything.  At this point, it will
either be a doorstop or a target when I am out practicing with a pistol
or rifle.  Basically, I have zero plans to use this drive.  It will be
replaced.  I'm just playing with it to see what I can learn and maybe,
just maybe, someone else will learn from this as well.

I've used spinrite before.  I used to work for a fortune 500 computer
company.  We had pretty much every tool there was including spinrite.
Thing is, this is the second time this drive has failed.  One failure
got me to take it out of normal use.  Two failures makes it something to
play with and a educational tool and nothing more.  Basically, I'll
never, never, trust that drive again with anything important.  It's
toast.  I'd rather apply that money to buying a new drive.  Keep in
mind, I was backing up to it just to put data on it and let it run, just
to see what it does.

Dale

:-)  :-)