It would be far better to use Spinrite (like I mentioned before) - to allow
a really low level access to the drive. While Spinrite is running the HDD
will not be able to automatically relocate sectors. I've been blown away
how effective this piece of software is - even when run with (apparently)
very knackered Maxtor drives!! It was like they were brought back from the
dead...

--

All the best,
Robert