Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 24 Jan 2015 18:18:36 Dale wrote:
>
>> Since I already replaced this drive, nothing lost.  We did learn
>> something tho.  Just because it claims to have fixed itself doesn't mean
>> it will be a long term solution.  ;-)
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
> Your repeated dd action probably relocated some bad blocks.
>
> I would also run a long test overnight to see where and how it fails.  I
> recently had a drive which went sideways on me.  Running dd was
successful in
> relocating some problematic sectors.  However, repeating the smart tests
> revealed that more and more sectors were going bad.  I recall a
warning that a
> catastrophic drive failure was imminent, when reading the output of
'smartctl
> -a'.
>
> Instead of dd'ing the whole drive, just dd the suspect sector and
repeat the
> smart tests to see how things move around.  I concur with other
posters that
> this drive should only be used for experimentation, rather than
production or
> back ups.

Hey Mick,

I've dd'd the drive many times.  That is the reason for the long delay
since the original post.  I would dd it then retest and repeat.  Doing
that on a 3TB drive takes a while.  ;-)  I mostly just wanted to see IF
it could fix itself.  Even if it did, I'm still not going to trust it.
Heck, I didn't trust it after the first fail.  Generally, when a drive
starts to fail like this, it doesn't go well.

Now if I still had a copy of spinrite or knew someone locally that did,
I'd run it just to see what it says.  One thing I know from the past, if
spinrite says it is bad, you can take that to the bank because that
opinion is worth gold.  Spinrite either fixes the issue or lets you know
to replace it.  Again, this would be a learning experience.  Even if
spinrite says it fixed it, I'd use it as a back up and monitor it.  It
would take a miracle for me to trust that drive again.

I'm trying to decide now if I want to save a little more and get a 4TB
drive or just get another 3TB drive.  < Dale's thinking >

Dale

:-)  :-)