walt wrote:
> I suspect most people don't even know firefox has a ProfileManager, but
> I'm here to warn you not to use it.  It just cost me years of bookmarks
> and saved passwords.
>
> For testing purposes I invoked firefox-bin with the -ProfileManager
> flag (don't do this, it's broken!) and created a fresh firefox profile
> with the name "temp" as I've been doing for years.
>
> I ran the "temp" profile while doing my testing, quit firefox and then
> re-invoked firefox with the -ProfileManager flag and used it to delete
> the "temp" profile because I didn't need it any more.
>
> Unfortunately, deleting "temp" also deleted the "default" profile I've
> been using for years, which had all of my bookmarks and saved passwords
> and maybe other stuff I haven't even thought about yet.
>
> I'm copying an old firefox profile from another machine that's four
> years out of date.  Maybe I can rescue an ort here or there.
>
> What a fscking disaster.
>
> Lesson learned:  if you need to start firefox with a fresh profile,
> just move your ~/.mozilla directory out of the way and let firefox
> create a new one from scratch.

This wouldn't help with some of the things you lost but it will with
your passwords at least.  For passwords, this will help and you can use
it somewhere else as well since it is portable, sort of.

https://lastpass.com/

I use that because I use Seamonkey, Firefox and other browsers.  Also,
if I am somewhere else, I can use that to get my passwords.  If my hard
drive dies and I lose everything, all I have to do is install the plugin
after the repairs and re-install, type in my email and master password
and I'm back in business.  I been using it for a good while and so far,
it works fairly well.  Every once in a while I run up on a site that
doesn't fill in automatically but it does when I right click and tell it
too.

It may at least be something worth looking at.

Dale

:-)  :-)