On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 21:09:38 +1000, wraeth wrote:

> > Have you tried Syncthing - http://syncthing.net/ ? I only discovered
> > it recently and it is a really nice syncing solution if you just want
> > to keep files available in multiple locations without the complexity
> > of ownCloud or the limitations of Dropbox.
>
> No I haven't, but one of the main reasons for that is because I mostly
> bypassed online (read: not controlled by myself) services for any sort
> of syncing - I eyed a couple, but my primary thought was to retain
> proper control of my data. Besides, I was setting up a host for a mail
> server anyway and was looking for online calendaring and contact
> management for syncing between devices, so it wasn't that far out of my
> way.

Syncthing is peer-to-peer. You can use their discovery server (or run
your own) for clients to find one another, but data always takes the
direct route. However, it is only for syncing, if you need the extra
features, ownCloud works well.

--
Neil Bothwick

Mosquito - designed to make houseflies look better.