On Tuesday 21 Jul 2015 02:40:54 Dale wrote:
> Rich Freeman wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This wouldn't help with some of the things you lost but it will with
> >> your passwords at least.  For passwords, this will help and you can use
> >> it somewhere else as well since it is portable, sort of.
> >>
> >> https://lastpass.com/
> >
> > ++
> >
> > I was chatting with somebody in my LUG about it and I described it as
> > the most secure password solution people are likely to actually use.
> > You can do better, but most don't.  I now have separate
> > random-generated passwords for virtually every service I use now, and
> > when one gets compromised I just log in and change it to a new
> > random-generated password.  I periodically backup the list in a csv
> > file to someplace safe.
>
> I use the random generator too.  Some older sites, forums or something
> that isn't really sensitive, may still have my old passwords but sites
> like banking and such each have their own random generated one.  I also
> try to generate the longest and most complex password the site will
> allow.  Some sites don't allow the characters above the number keys.
>
> Another thing, I was at my brothers once and needed to login to a site.
> I installed lastpass, typed in my email and master password and I could
> go anywhere I wanted just as if I was sitting at my own puter.   If it
> wasn't for lastpass, I would have had to come home and do what needed
> doing.
>
> So far, this is the best solution I have found and I only use the free
> part.  ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

A better, as in more secure, solution should involve local encryption and IMHO
local air-gapped storage.  A USB key will do nicely and you can have a second
USB key stored in your brother's premises, for disaster recovery scenarios.
This is because cloud storage:

 a) creates a honey pot which attracts attacks[1] and
 b) most of cloud storage is in the US.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

--
Regards,