Ok, this is a three part question. I am on "vacation" and I am using my wife's laptop that used to have winxp and now has Gentoo. Starting today I started to get garbled video output followed by a lock-up. I have been using the laptop as my dev platform and keeping it running 24x7. I am not sure if this is messing it up or not. It seems to stay pretty warm. I bought an extra 1GB of mem for the laptop and put that in today after the first lockup. I ran memtest for about 10 minutes and didn't see any issues.

The laptop has an Intel "Extreme" graphics chip. Every time before the lockup, the video gets all messed up with vertical and horizontal lines. I just went in the bios and changed the CPU speed to LOW which is now 800Mhz Pentium M instead of 1.73GHz, changed the screen brightness to the lowest. I also switched the X driver from i810 to vesa. So far it seems a little more stable. However, after a recent startx, when X first comes up I see a quick flash of my previous desktop on the screen. It seems like the memory wasn't cleared and the junk left in it is displayed for a second while X is initializing. This "Extreme" chip uses system memory. Has anyone had issue like this?

I have always been a desktop person so I am not used to these "tender" laptops. Do these issues sound like they are caused by over heating? Or could it be hardware? This thing is only 2-3 months old. I better not have to send it to Toshiba already. I have a Satellite M45-S2692.

Now for the games part. I can't compile/play some of the bigger games and now I am POed : ) Are there any recommendations for fun games in Gentoo that could run fine with the vesa drive? I am trying to find some game to help pass the time on my "vacation" at my in-laws ; )

Thanks,

Jim