2009/6/8 Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net>:
> 090608 Mick wrote:
>> Just updated my KDE to the latest 3.5.10 and discovered
>> there is no KDE menu!  This means no KDE applications menu,
>> & no menu on the left hand pane when I run kcontrol from a terminal:
>>   kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found!
>>   Defaulting to Settings/
>> Also, I used to have this in my Fluxbox menu to launch Konqueror:
>>   [exec] (Konqueror) {kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing}
>> However, this won't launch konqueror anymore.
>> elog said something about running kbuildsycoca as the user
>> I want to launch konqueror from, which I did,
>> but is there anything else I should do to fix any of the above?
>
> I gave up on the KDE desktop after investigating KDE 4.2.1 (ugh!)
> & finding that the latest Fluxbox 1.1.1 was a bit better for what I do,
> so I no longer use a KDE menu, but after updating to Kdelibs 3.5.10-r6 ,
> I too encountered the problem with Konqueror above,
> for which the fix is to rewrite with '{konqueror}'.
>
> BTW I recommend Apwal for a quick & pretty desktop menu
> besides the more orthodox list you can put into the Fluxbox menu.

Thanks Philip, I also noticed that 'konqueror' works fine, so I
changed the FB menu accordingly.  Apwal looks cool, I will give it a
spin (although I am conditioned to years of using the FB right-click
menu).

The problem remains though with most menus and submenus in KDE
applications;  e.g. right-click on a file in Konqueror, then 'Open
With' and there are no applications in the popup to select from ... I
have to type the application manually.  This is a rather significant
usability hurdle for me.

Any KDE gurus out there?
--
Regards,