Hi All,

I have pulled together a few Bubbler Buoy option.

Here is an Advanced Anchoring and Mooring Study".

http://www.oregonwave.org/wp-content/uploads/Anchor-and-Mooring-Study_FINAL-mod-051010.pdf

<http://www.oregonwave.org/wp-content/uploads/Anchor-and-Mooring-Study_FINAL-mod-051010.pdf>This

study opened up a few useful bubbler buoy design ideas. The first concept
involves a modified "Anaconda" wave energy converter (Fig.5). I can see how
this would give good vertical control separation from the floor. While under
the ice (no waves),  captured methane would be used as the sole
energy source . This concept could cover a good section of an area with
minimal anchoring/mooring. Here is an animation of the Anaconda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamSAbwgJKk&feature=related

The principle modification would be the addition of a snorkel(s), bubbler
gear and energy storage means. I do like this idea as it can be a modular
system for ease of transport and expansion. The hydrosol injectors could act
as a means for lateral movement to increase the hydrosol coverage area. A
deflection of up to 45 degrees from the current flow may be possible. Fins
could be used to assist this lateral movement.

There is one anchor designs that stands out for use in a hydrate field. The
the suction pile method (Pg 35). This would penetrate well as I believe most
hydrate fields are an aggregate of materials. *This type of anchoring method
also brings up the possibility of harvesting methane directly from the floor
through the pile and using it on board the buoy via fuel cells*. I do like
the possibility of using this type of gear as not only an anchor, but as a
mast as well. This could help keep the mooring line from "sweeping" the
floor

Here is one off the shelf system that can be easily modified for immediate
use for bubbler/observation work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX44qY560KY&feature=related

This is a study on "smart buoys".
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~kfall/unbuoy.pdf  I would like to work toward a
"smart" Pico bubbler.

Here are a few advanced concept which may be of some interest.

I took up a short study a few years back on electroactive polymers (EAP)
or artificial muscle. Here is the Wiki link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroactive_polymers

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroactive_polymers>This type of polymer
could find many uses within this project. Here is a clip of a configuration
which could be used (at a much larger scale) as an autonomous methane bubble
capture means.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2mE0tUk7vA&NR=1  Try to
imagine what you viewed with a segmented ie. flexible Peltier cooler
skeletal structure cooling the water. The methane fuel cell and subsystems
would be central to the legs. A snorkel tube running to the surface
with bubblers attached to a small surface buoy communications package would
give us what we need.. I think we may be able to eventually design such a
system that would actually seek out vents autonomously and take up residency
over them. A *S*mart *PICO* with EAP/Peltier "*S*kirt" deployed down the
mooring line looks good to me. *SPICOS *buoys could be produced and deployed
in significant numbers, but I haven't looked at any cost figures. It won't
be cheap.

Carbon Nanotube muscle is also possibly available in the near term and here
is a short lab clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-zXKrBoJGs&feature=relmfu
.
This concept also allows for a movable "swarm" of bubblers (or other gear)
to follow seasonal changes in the ocean environment. Sam posted a suggestion
of using hydrosols along the interface between the Gulf Stream and the
leading edge of the polar ice sheet to possibly insulate the leading edge
through bright water use. A swarm of these autonomous bubblers could  follow
the ice retreat and also be directed to the higher temperature areas through
sat. communications.

The last buoy concept I would like to introduce is a *Super SPICOS *buoy. It
is the SPICOS merged with a super conductive version of this design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phc9_h31JfE  Superconducting Magnetic Energy
Storage (SMES) can be applied to a bubbler buoy as a way to store the
potential electrical power generated through the methane capture. This
eliminates the need for bulk gas storage, cools the surrounding waters and
makes for a more efficient wave energy capture. A *Super SPICOS* can be
moored to a suction piling along with the modified Anaconda. If stationed at
a large methane vent, the energy transfer from both the methane/wave action
to the cryogenic system, could produce significant local water cooling.

These different buoy concepts are reasonable in that I am only modifying
current designs. They are not that "outside the box", just heavily modified
for this use.

As always, I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael