Methane Tipping Point Early Warning System and Electromagnetic Mapping of
Hydrate Fields.

I was downloading the relevant papers from the U.of C. library and found
this 08 PhD dissertation on mapping hydrate fields.

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/61x1136v?query=ocean%20methane%20hydrate#page-150

I think this is extremely important for this issue on two counts. First is
the ability to use this method for locating Sea Worm buoy deployment in
general. However, *If we focus in upon key environmental factors and use
this method to locate actual vents/fields within the key "hot spots", we may
be able to see the early stages of a methane tipping point.*

Low oxygen, high temperature, shallow waters, possibly continental shelf
edge potential landslide areas, new arctic thaw areas all add up to the
perfect hallmarks of a "weak point". I would also throw in the "trawler"
wild card (areas of current or past bottom drag net use). Using our
best resources to develop a list of sites that meet that criteria would let
us focus immediate resources on mapping and getting monitoring equipment on
site. By going the weakest of the weak sites, we can basically develop an
early warning system for a methane tipping point.

I think this might be a good focus for this summer. Any thoughts or
comments?

Thanks,

Michael

<http://escholarship.org/uc/item/61x1136v?query=ocean%20methane%20hydrate#page-150>