Thanks Sam,

As to micro-bubbles acting as insulation, this is perhaps applicable
where warm water of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean is entering
the Arctic Ocean. Micro-bubbles could possibly be added to the stream
close to the sea ice, to form an insulating layer underneath the ice,
when entering the Arctic, thus reducing heat transfer from the Gulf
Stream to the ice. It's just a thought that needs further discussion
and research, but it could add to the functionality of micro-bubbles,
i.e. 1. bright water (albedo change), 2. adding oxygen (methane
oxidation in water) and 3. insulating the ice. That is a very interesting
path to think about. Autonomous buoys that can relocate themselves is an
advanced concept I am currently thinking through. And, your application
would be a perfect fit. I did not see that potential. A buoy swarm could be
guided by daily sat. data concerning heat eddy movement along the front of
the ice sheet. This is very interesting!

As to adding oxygen to the water, the optimal size of bubbles needs
further testing, as well as their make-up. Apart from loading
micro-bubbles with oxygen, further testing could look at also adding
nutrients inside the bubbles for bacteria that could help with methane
oxidation Dr. Seitz has worked out those issues and it is mainly a matter of
deployment. The recommended hydrosol size is .002mm. The issue of using a
hydrosol surfactant to feed the bacteria would be in the sulfur class and it
has been in the back of my mind all day. If this is even remotely possible,
the effects on the entire food web will need extensively evaluated. I do
know that soy oil is a surfactant used in medical microbubble preparations,
however that is a dead end duo to the needed logistics and being the wrong
"food group".LoL

Supplying a surfactant to the buoys is possible at a limited scale, but
would be a major logistics/energy issue on regional scale. However, I am
starting to learn of the efforts in understanding of bacterial genetics and
would not rule out the future possibility of that work leading to a path to
couple hydrosol surfactants to the food chain. Getting the 2 fields to
understand the synergistic potential would be important. Many time, one
field will have absolutely no understanding of their work in other fields.
Finding those links is what I am trying to do here.

I assume that the bubbles are best produced by buoys floating on the
water. Such buoys will also have a valuable monitoring function,
measuring methane concentrations, water and air temperature, etc. It could
be a virtual world wide extension of the Ocean Observatory Initiative. I can
get real excited about that. Here is the main link to OOI
http://www.oceanobservatories.org/science/major-science-themes/

Buoys could be powered by solar panels, but could also be powered by
the motion. I add two links on viability of the latter:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/9237529/wave-energy-buoy-launched-in-world-first/
http://cleantechnica.com/2008/09/25/ocean-buoys-to-provide-10-of-us-energy-requirements/

Thanks for the links. I waited years for the development
of wind-able superconducting elements. I remember the day I head that it had
been achieved, I was on the Bering Sea. That type of magnet actually has
2 functions. Beyond the obvious, it is also a means for storing energy. And,
the more energy it stores, the stronger the magnetic field. I think
this development path could be important to the concept we are working on,
as well as, the general area of wave energy. Using the induction form of
wave energy production, enhanced with super conductive magnets, seems well
worth the added cost. The more energy it stores, the stronger the induction,
the more energy is available for storage, etc. etc.

If you take that type of super conductive enhanced buoy and use the energy
to do nothing but cool the local waters, it would be worth the added cost
and complexity. Here is a link to our largest induction type wave proposal
here on the West coast.
http://www.oregonwave.org/wp-content/uploads/Task-4.2-Integrated-Systems-Analysis.pdf

If this buoy concept (Sea Worm) ever gets serious attention. I would hope
the advanced induction wave concept would be used. The cryo system itself
would be a local water cooler. Yet, it would require a completely autonomous
subsystem to compress air down to liquid. However, look at what we could do
with the LO2!!!!!

The buoys, their power, the measuring equipment, lights,

communications and all that is involved seems feasible with products
that are available off-the-shelf, but further testing is recommended
regarding the functionality of the bubbles. Hydrosol use *has * to pass
muster with the marine biology field. Some organisms can not tolerate air
bubble injections. Reviewing that issue is on my list in the next few days.
A comment was posted to Ken(?) from a marine biologist and I need to find
that post/person.

The 7th Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting did start in Nuuk,
Greenland on 12 May 2011. Member states are Canada, Denmark (including
Greenland and the Faroe Islands), Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia,
Sweden and the United States of America. I suggest that this issue is
put on the agenda. Perhaps someone has the necessary contacts to reach
delegates?

I suggest to send them a sentence like this:
"In recognition of the risk of large amounts of methane being released
in the Arctic, action is necessary now, including large-scale
deployment of buoys."

Does anyone see virtue in sending a call for action in the form of an
Open Letter to the Council, or would it be better to seek a more
private approach? Private contact is worth a ton of paper, IMHO. However,
drawing up such a letter to give the private contact something to move
forward with would be an important tool for the contact. How to frame and
collect signatures for that effort is more in the area of Albert's field. I
hope he is reading this. Also, I am trying to keep this thread populated
with the key papers that I find and linked to other threads that address
this issue. I hope that this quickly evolves into a quick course for the
policy makers and others. Any help in collecting relevant links would be
appreciated.

Thanks, Sam.

Michael