Mike et al.,
I don't think anyone is asking mineral weathering to singlehandedly solve the
problem, though the fact that it  can and will naturally solve the problem
given enough time means it does have the proven capacity to do so, unlike any
other CDR scheme I am aware of. How much accelerated weathering we do does
largely come down to extraction, processing, and movement of mineral mass.
Yes, Gt's of CO2 mitigation does require Gt's of mineral, but why is this
necessarily a showstopper if we fail to stabilize CO2 by other means? We
currently extract about 2.5 Gt of minerals/yr. Is it unthinkable that we
wouldn't/couldn't double or triple this in the interest of helping to stabilize
air CO2, climate and ocean acidity? Or would you prefer to impact vastly larger
land areas and potentially disrupt food and fiber production by employing
IPCC-endorsed BECCS or afforestation? All methods of air CO2 management have
benefits, costs, impacts, and tradeoffs.  Let's hope
 that we invest in the research to well understand these for all of the CO2
management options available,  and that we then make rational decisions on
their deployment (in time)  based on this info. Given the decisions and
endorsements made so far, I'm not holding my breath. Hence, looking forward to
that private resilience session in Paris.
Greg

>________________________________

Here is another way to think of the amount of mass being talked about. The
global average per capita use of carbon today is of order 9. GtC/yr/7B people,
so about 1.3 ton per person of carbon. Multiply by 3.67 to get to CO2, and it
is about 5 t CO2 per person. Would olivine be an equal mass (or a bit more to
match mole to mole)? That is a lot of olivine—and for every person on Earth to
deal with present emissions—even if this is off by a factor of a few!!! Every
person on Earth—not just everyone on coastlines in NJ or the US or the world.

This is why we have to get global emissions down down, down and then also be
doing something like this.

Mike

On 1/26/15, 5:36 PM, "Andrew Lockley" <andrew.lock...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, placing olivine accurately is almost the exact equivalent of vacuum
dredging, but in reverse.