As I recall there are nickel mines in Canada that have released large volumes of olivine-rich overburden.

Also SA diamond mines produce a lot of kimberlite, also olivine rich. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberlite

Oliver.

On 28/01/2015 09:23, Schuiling, R.D. (Olaf) wrote:

There are a fairly large number of open-pit chromite mines which occur in olivine rocks (dunites). This means that they have large dumps of crushed dunites, which provide of course even cheaper olivine to use than mining fresh rocks. The same holds for magnesite mines, the magnesite is in veins in olivine rock. The one I know best is in northern Greece, and there are at least 10 million tons of crushed olivine rock on the tailings. The olivine mines in Norway, notably Aheim are practically free of overburden (no climate for laterite formation, and fairly steep topography), Olaf Schuiling

*From:*geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *Andrew Lockley
*Sent:* dinsdag 27 januari 2015 23:59
*Cc:* Geoengineering
*Subject:* Re: [geo] Re: Energy Planning and Decarbonization Technology | The Energy Collective

Can anyone shed any light on whether there are already large opencast mining operations in the world with significant amounts of olivine-rich overburden?

If that's the case, they'll already have all the necessary mining and transport equipment in place. Furthermore, dumping the overburden is a massive headache for miners. CDR could solve this.

Getting rid of overburden olivine by marine dumping for CDR could be like the EOR of the oil industry.

Combining it with erosion reduction would make this a win-win operation.

Any coal mine with a 3:1 ratio of overburden to coal becomes carbon neutral, and metal ore mines become massively carbon negative.