On 04/12/2019 10:55, Jim web wrote:
Here are some examples of the info for some recent programmes on WS that
illustrate the odd variations. Question is what the best strategy might be
for mode settings to always get the best available quality?

As a personal choice I tend to prefer podcast version *if* the sound
quality is as high as the broadcast version and - as often - there is some
extra content that isn't just presenter preening or 'promos' for 'other
things you will like' (sic)!

Despite the above having 'med' modes my fetch was 96k but I'll try again
with other mode settings.

med modes as in dafmed or hafmed are 96kbit/s (often with the dreaded HE-AAC). To get 128kbit/s you need the std modes as in dafstd or hafstd, and these have been missing recently in some cases.

You can use a list of modes in order of preference.
--radiomode=dafhigh,dafstd,dafmed

Another option is to download the podcast (not to be confused with the podcast version available in get_iplayer). Go to
bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz1tz
where w3csz1tz is the PID of the programme you want. Click the Podcast tab. Click the Download button for the episode you want. You will be offered a choice of 128kbit/s or 64kbit/s. The downloaded file will be MP3.

Best wishes
Richard