Hi !

> Q: Why don't we run acceleration like directX does, by calling one ioctl at
>    launch that fills up a bunch of function pointers, and the caller falls
>    back on ioctls if the function pointer is NULL?
>
> A: (thanks Andreas Beck from a post a while back)
>    It's a huge waste of time to test every possible accel function at init.

This might need some explanation ...:

A: We pretty much do the same thing, but not using a static single function
call. We fill this table on demand and always jump through it. All pointers
initially point to the possibly-fastest method and fall back gradually, if
this level of acceleratio is not available on the current hardware or mode.

This only places the checking overhead somewhere else. Overall runtime is
not affected or even lowered, as only functions the application uses are
probed. The advantage compared to using a single array of calls is, that
we handle the stuff transparently, and can thus add new entries without
the application having to test lots of if version>bla then ...;

> Q: What videocards support -any- acceleration?
> A: FBdev:     Matrox
>               3Dfx/Banshee; 3Dfx/3
>                  (but it uses the tdfx driver for this and as the 3dfx and
>                   tdfx switch the card into different modes they tend to
>                   crash eachother... *sigh*)
>               As far as I know none of the non-intel platforms are
>               accelerated.  Anyone know better?
>    KGI/FBcon: Matrox  (anyone know which driver's better?)
>               Permedia/2 (untested)
                Permedia/2 - I use it about 5-8 hours daily since I created
the driver, and it never came down on me. Accel is ioctl type and only
fillbox,copybox.

CU, ANdy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>