Andreas Beck wrote:

> >       - What do I do for sound?  I could use GSI (which does -not- work
> >       for me...  the daemon -never- starts)...  Maybe I should look
> >       at a GGI-style sound management library?

Why doesn't whoever wrote this contact me? Help is just an email away
and duplicating effort is a bad idea (the whole thing is BSD-2 licenced
now btw).

> Hmm - last time I looked, GSI was geared towards action style games.
> I.e. free running midi/CD plus 3D positioned sound-effects.
>
> This is quite a bit different from your current needs which are pretty much
> streaming large amounts of PCM data in a synchronized way.

Streams are handled by GSI 0.8.x. Synchronizing, well, in that case
shared memory streams are probably the way to go (not completed in
0.8.x).

> Yes - a GGI-like Lib would be interesting, as there are at least:
> OSS, Kernel native drivers, ALSA, network audio servers, dumb /dev/audios,
> the Win stuff ...

Check out the library oranization of 0.9.x: gsipcm, gsicd, gsisynth
(abstraction in this case is a mistake I think, just do midi and new
libs for other formats), gsimixer, and (lib)gsi is the network
connection stuff.

> Unifying this would be great ... but it will need quite some effort and
> study of all possible targets to get it right.

Hmm. Have a look at 0.9.x. Anyone want to help?

Wouter