On 31 May 2001, at 0:49, Simon Budig wrote:
> Martijn Weisbeek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > So I also read some people mentioned PHP's spaghetti-like nature.
> > However, I also like to state that using PHP will enable a lot more
> > programmers to be able to contribute.
>
> Sorry - but at this point I have to interrupt you. We probably don't
> need "programmers". Our main concern has to be content. The average
> programmer (including me) would give you lots of template-systems
> based on PHP/Perl/Zope/Whatever and is totally happy that there are
> 1000 ways to do this. But the content that comes from these people is
> mostly crap - have a look at Tom's demo site  ;-)
>
> So we have to be careful not to scare away the people that actually
> can deliver the content of the site. IMHO it is way better to have a
> <!--#include "incs/footer.html" --> than a PHP-Page which -- for a
> more advanced system -- looks more like a program than a
> content-container.

What surprises me in this discussion is how everybody jumps in and
suggests tools and for methods for automatic content creation and
management, but I have yet to see the first word on what the content
for www.gimp.org. Maybe I missed that discussion? If so, could you
point me to the appropriate thread in the mailing list archive?

If I look at the current site, I can hardly find anything that
warrants dynamic creation of HTML. There is a way to leaf through the
site (the arrows left and right in the thermometer), but that is
about it.

Maybe a discussion on what content is needed for the site should come
first, and only then the definition of how we are going to implement
it.

Comments?

--
branko collin