On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 08:16:37AM +0000, Nick Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This probably ought to be on our horizon too. Modern FPUs are very fast
> and RAM gets ever cheaper.

And caches get slower... and RAM is _slow_.

I don't say not to also support float, I just wanted to point out that
performance is very much dependent on cache optimizations, as every
fortran programmer knows ;)

> the 50% saving on storage) for 16-bit integers vs 32-bit float? We can't
> actually /display/ either of these things on conventional hardware so
> there's no difference there.

I think that we very well can display 16 bits or higher, after all, we can
have 16 bit linear and output 8 bit gamma-corrected.