On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:14:01PM +1100, Tim Lambert wrote:
> "Stephen J Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> > My #1 FAQ from people where I work is:
> >
> >   Q: I'm trying to paint and nothing is happening - what did I
> >      do wrong?
>
> Yeah, me too.  How hard do you think it would be to have a 'novice
> mode' where gimp detects this and pops up a tip on how to fix things?

And we could also add an obtrusive animated paperclip (or
paintbrush) giving users funny advices...

But seriously, there's a zillion things user can do wrong,
if he/she is clueless, and when you finally find them all,
the first user you test your novice mode on will find a new
one.

IMHO novice mode (if ever implemented) should restrict the
things user can do to some sane set (simplifying the
interface), and not try to turn the Gimp into Eliza

Regards,

Yeti