Tor Lillqvist writes:
 > There also seems to be some handle leak when GIMP is starting up and
 > queries all the plug-ins. Also, something needs to be done to #98737
 > soon. (Perhaps related, I had to start GIMP at least four times before
 > it got past all the plug-ins and wrote out the pluginrc file.)

Done:

2003-07-30  Tor Lillqvist  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * app/plug-in/plug-in.c (plug_in_close): [Win32] Plug handle leak,
        call CloseHandle().

and in GLib:

2003-07-31  Tor Lillqvist  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * glib/gspawn-win32.c: When possible, manage without the helper
        process. (Part of the enhancements outlined in #98737.) Speeds up
        GIMP 1.3's first-time-run plug-in query phase a lot.

        Plug a file descriptor (and thus Win32 handle) leak: close the
        read end of the child error report pipe after use.

Now I can start GIMP 1.3.17 from fresh and it successfullly queries
all the plug-ins, quite fast even, with no handles leaked.

Still need to add script support to gspawn-win32.c so that Hans's
Python plug-ins work.

--tml