On Friday 18 July 2003 16:59, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to inform you about our plans for the GIMP 2.0 release.
> Originally we wanted to get GIMP 2.0 out at GimpCon. Since that is
> actually in three weeks, we will definitely not make it but I am
> still optimistic that we will manage to feature-freeze at the Camp
> and do something that we can call a 2.0 prerelease. Perhaps we will
> need to declare one or two missing features as bugs but basically
> the release made at GimpCon should have everything that GIMP 2.0
> will have.

        I am here working, though slowly, on the programable layer mode,
which I proposed when I first joined the list.
It's not such a  small change, since adding layer modes breaks the
cross-reading of .xcf files.

So what I need to know now is:
        - If I deliver a partially working patch by next week, could it be
included before the feature freeze?
        - Else, I think the proper moment to bring it up would be when the
new GIMP file save format, which is on topic nowadays, would be
implemented. Could that be 2.2 ?

Or do we have a chance of having this new file format in 2.0?
If yes, I think it could be done in a way that new layer formats could
be made not to break badly the backwards compatibility.