On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Phil Harper wrote:

> >Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > so how do you scroll sideways (using the wheel)?
> > > is this the same keybinding as Photoshop?
> >
> >Dunno what PS uses but GIMP uses Ctrl.

> is there some plan that everything in GIMP should fall inline with
> Photo$hop? those who already use the old ways of doing things probably wont
> like having their workflow messed with further.

Not officially.  In fact there seem to be people actively resisting it who
insist on being differnt just for the sake of being differnt.

Clone first and innovate later.

Follow standards, even defacto standards unless there is a damned good
reason to do otherwise.

The GIMP itself is a defacto standard, ask the average Linux/BSD user
about image editing and they will recommend the GIMP for just about
everything, not many know well enough to recommend Image Magic for batch
proccessing.  I know there are a few simpler image editing programs but
users end up getting thrown in at the deep end and told to just learn to
use the GIMP.

I am increasingly noticing that quite a few applictions copy the GIMP and
if I ever want to get them to change I am unfortunately going to have try
and change the GIMP first or at the very least get people to admit that
they have absolutely know idea why things are done a certain way except
that the are already that way.

The "old ways" aaah, you may notice the GIMP has changed quite a bit since
1.2 and needs to keep on changing.  The old keybindings could and should
be put in a "old ways"  menurc so that we can get on with making a
powerful image editor that caters to a wide audience with user friendly
defaults (see Ctrl+Shift+Z for details).  The older users are also the
people most easily able to change and adapt to new but reasonable
defaults.

This may seem like a bit of a rant but really ... I dont even know myself
anymore but it is things like this that annoy me so much that I had no
choice but to stick my nose in and keep making my opinions known.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/