Sven Neumann wrote:
Ernst Lippe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
The decision if the plug-in "needs" the temporary drawable
is made by its designer and it is certainly not forced by
the preview.

So you are seeing the GimpPreview as just a widget that plug-ins can draw on. However our goal is to provide a way to add a preview to plug-ins basically w/o changing their code. The change should be limited to the plug-in dialog and a few hooks here and there. Your preview widget could be part of this infrastructure since it provides a way to draw pixels to the screen, but in its current state, it certainly doesn't meet the goals I outlined above.

It is certainly a step in the right direction, though, and I think that it is something that we should try to use (and improve) during the 2.1 cycle. It is more than a simple widget that you draw on too - you get feedback from the widget about which pixel region is currently in the viewport, and you can quite easily generate a drawable from that which you pass to your filter function.

Given that there are now 2 developers interested in working on this (Ernst and dindinx) I think there is a good chance that working together on it (in GIMP CVS, so that we get some feedback from the plug-in authors who use it too) we will have a nice to use preview widget by 2.2

Dave Neary