Hi,

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 00:08 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

> Anyway, my main argument is that it would be more consistent with the
> other tools: the other selection tools, the transform tools and the
> zoom tool only consider the state of the modifiers before the first
> click.  Subsequent changes to the modifiers are ignored even if you
> spend quite some time modifying the selection, the transform parameters
> or the zoom area: only the initial state matters.

All the other tools create the selection immidiately. All tools consider
the state of the modifiers at the moment you create the selection.
Whether that is the first click or not seems irrelevant to me.

> I actually made the wrong assumption once or twice with the iscissors:
> I wanted to add a new area to a selection so I pressed Shift before
> clicking on the first point, then added more points, closed the shape,
> clicked inside it and poof! my selection was gone.  I naively thought
> that it would behave as described above and I did not press Shift for
> the final click.  I lost my selection and I had no way to undo/redo
> this, except by re-selecting.  But maybe I am the only one who has this
> expectation for the selection tools?  I don't know.  Only some usability
> tests could tell what is best...

This wouldn't have happened to you if you have had a look at the cursor
changes. BTW, does anyone object to removing the possibility of turning
context dependant cursors off? They are very important and I can't
really imagine that someone would want to work without them.