First off, I want to apologize - it's not my intention to be
combative, and I can be a total ass sometimes.  Secondly, I wonder if
we should make two feature requests: the first for a dockable
magnifier with options, and the second for a key-triggered pop-up
version of the same magnifier.  Should there be no objections, I'll
file the first request in BZ.  Peter, do you have any problems with
writing up the second request?  Sounds like you have a clearer vision
of how it should be implemented.  Finally, I'm looking at the latest
SVN to see if this is a project that's within my abilities.  It looks
like a lot of the code that's needed already exists and just needs to
be extended into a new dialog - pointers/pitfalls welcome.