On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 12:53 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:

> [1] This seems like the best existing dialog to place this.  It
> doesn't seem to warrant it's own dialog, unless we were to extend the
> funtionality into a new "info" dialog similar to PS, in which the
> color values under the cursor are reported

GIMP already has such a dialog among the dockables that the user can add
to their docks. The easiest and the most consistent way for adding a
magnifier view is to add it as another dockable. It should be pretty
much straight-forward to do that and it would solve most of the use
cases that have been brought up.