Quoting peter sikking's weblog:

     the focus for GIMP is to work with ‘found’ images;"

I do not understand the reason for this restriction. Myself, I am not
a painter. I do not use the GIMP for painting but I recognize that
there are many who do. It seems such a short stretch for the GIMP to
extend its already powerful paintbox toolset to incorporate other
painting concepts that I fail to see why development in this direction
should not be encouraged.

On a similar note, I wish to express a related concern with another
category of "user" who, in my opinion, is not being sufficiently
addressed in the current focus on user interface design: the
developer. In the Free Software universe, the most important users of
software are the ones who contribute to the project; whether through
documentation, language translation, meaningful bug reporting, or
actual programming. It would seem that minimizing the demands on
potential contributors should be a major focus of proposed changes in
the GIMP's "user" interface -- I have seen the opposite sentiment
expressed by Mr Sikking and while I very much appreciate his
contribution to the GIMP's development, I would that this aspect be