here's what I suggest that we do (short-term). It should be a simple
change and it will avoid that what happened to Guillermo happens to
others in the future.

The JPEG plug-in should not use the last-used values when being run
non-interactively from the "Save" action. It should use the, now
user-configurable, default values. Of course if the "jpeg-save-options"
parasite is set on the image that is being saved, then those values
should be used. As far as I can see now, this means removing a single
line in jpeg.c. I will have a closer look tomorrow morning.