> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:08:45 +0200, Chris Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  I expect the "Save" command to retain
> > *all* data: not just some.
>
> If you expect that when using jpeg you are wrong and need to see the first
> use warning that has been suggested.

I understand that JPEG drops data.  My point: in most applications,
'save' means "save your data".  In the image editing world, 'save' has
come to mean "save as much data as you want given the limitations of
the format - here are (or might be) some options".

> >  Exporting is preferable to a "lossy save".
>
> Says you. This is not always the case. It depends what is required.

It's just my opinion: save != lose

> > Just because most image editors throw away
> > parts of your file, there's no reason for GIMP to follow suit (anyone
> > ever play Lemmings?).
>
> I dont recall anyone having advanced that as an arguement. I really think
> we should stop exagerating this issue.

It's a non-issue - we have enough experience to dodge the pitfalls of
lossy formats.  It's the status quo, and we live with it.  My source
files stay XCF, TIFF, or PNG and my web files end up JPEG or PNG.
Such is life.  I just wonder if it could be easier.

Chris