> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:23:39 +0200, Raphaël Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> Does "current" need to be saved as a third option? It is either equal to
> default or original unless it is set during a save in which case it become
> the new value of original. Are you suggesting the truely original settings
> are retained after a save with different values? If so how long? End of
> session perhaps.
I thought this could be simpler -- if the original settings for an
image are attached to the image as a non-persistent parasite, that
parasite will expire when the image is closed. IMO this is more
logical than keeping till end of session (keeping til end of session
is what would happen if you attached a non-persistent parasite to GIMP
itself.)

> Ah yes , I've just realised there are many of these extended settings that
> are not set in the save dlg so there is a real need for your third option.
>

> > In theory, these parameters should work like this: all new images or
> > images loaded from disk get the "default" setting except if some files
> > have an "original" setting, which is then used instead of the default
> > one.  This then becomes the "current" setting, which is associated with
> > that image every time it is saved.

I think that works well with the above, since the original setting
becomes the current in a suitable way.

> > This would solve one of the problems that has started this long thread
> > about the JPEG quality factor: saving one image in low quality will
> > not cause other unrelated images to be also saved in low quality.  The
> > other improvement that can be implemented without waiting is to read
> > or compute the "original" quality from JPEG files and to use it if and
> > only if it is better than the "default" quality.
>
> I'm not sure about the ifing and butting. I think the program should work
> in one predictable and consistant way. There is also in problem
> artificially altering this value if it is "better". That is subjective. A
> numerically higher jpeg_quality value is not better if you dont want you
> file to suddenly get huge next time you save it (obstencively without
> changing anything.)
>
> I think default values should be used only _by default_ , ie when no other
> value is available as you outlined at the top. If there is a perceived
> need to force these values (and that seems to be the main difference of
> option here) then perhaps the dlg for setting the user defined defaults
> should have an option "force these settings for all jpeg images". This

Yes, cool -- in what scope? (ie -- this session, or all sessions
including and after this one? in the latter case we should provide a
way to clear those.)

> defaults to false, so the user who sets default parameters has to actively
> select the forcing and takes legal repsonsabilty for the resulting
> bloat/degradation trade-off.
We need a way to flag this to the user -- maybe in "Image Properties"
dialog, something that is both unambiguous and not Jpeg-specific (eg.
it could also apply when you are exporting to an indexed format).
Honestly, this 'force' option seems necessary though hackish.
I've made a few tries at writing such a message, but came up with nothing yet.

> That satisfies those who want to define across the board behavoir at the
> same time as providing a gimp jpeg save that does nothing more than is
> asked of it: save the image as it was loaded unless the user intervenes.
>
> To me this seems to be the only proper way to handle it. A Save should not
> be trying to do a furtive SaveAs.

This is true. Perhaps Save could insist on prompting you for an xcf
filename if the image filename is not xcf. I believe that resolves
both inconsistencies - silent upgrading and saving-that-is-losing, as
well as defining a more clear workflow for the individual cases of
'quick edit' and 'significant work over time' - in one case you edit
and QuickExport*, in the other you edit, save, edit, save... and
eventually export  (maybe repeating that cycle if you need to revise
things)

* yeah, this name could be improved. Perhaps you could have Export and
Export As instead (where Export performs the function I called
QuickExport earlier, and Export As could probably replace 'Save a
copy..')