On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:38:26 -0400, Kevin Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/29/07, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> >  - Alt+Ctrl moves the selected pixels.
> >  - Alt+Shift moves a copy of the selected pixels.
>
> That seems backwards in a way. To make it easy to remember which moves (ie.
> shifts) the pixels and which moves a copy it would be better the other way
> around. The C from Ctrl would make one think of Copy while Shift would be
> just
> that (shifting but not copying).
>
> Probably too late to change this and would confuse users who are already used
> to it as it is now.

It should not be too hard to change this.  This would not even require a
string change because the messages suggesting to use the various modifiers
are generated dynamically.

I remember discussing these combinations of modifiers with mitch, so we
should wait until he can comment on that before changing anything.

Also, while I understand your arguments about shift = move and C as in
Copy, these are only valid in a few locales (mostly en_*).  And if you
compare with how the modifiers are used for other operations, then you
will see that we tend to use Shift for things that are less destructive
than Ctrl.  Maybe that was the reason for selecting Alt+Shift for copy.
I don't remember.

-Raphaël