On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 21:47 -0800, Bill Skaggs wrote:
> One of the minor annoyances of using Gimp is that the Layer Mode
> menu (and paint mode menu, etc) is unpleasantly long -- for me, it
> nearly extends from the top to the bottom of the screen.  It
> would actually be very easy to change the code so that these menus
> are laid out in two columns, and in my opinion they look nicer that
> way.  I am attaching a screenshot showing how it looks.  (Hopefully
> the attachment will come through.)

I am not sure. I have never had problems with the long menu and I think
that the separators help a lot to understand the paint modes. The
two-column layout doesn't provide this information and it even seems to
suggest that there's some relationship between modes that are shown on
the same row.

IMO this change would be a regression but I might be convinced that it
is an improvement.