> Solution:
> 1) the export warning for flat file formats should be optional ('do not
> show this dialog again')
> 2) closing images, which have not been saved to
> .xcf, should trigger a warning ('you have already exported this image to
> .png, but you will loose all your layering/path information if you close
> the image now')

I'm going to echo my support for this. The nags on saves are
counterproductive. Further more you will get them even when you are doing
a "Save as Copy..." that by essence is an intentional export and can cause no
dataloss... Any export should be handled  with a nag on closing the actual
window with the path&layer information, not on export itsself.