On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

> GIMP already provides that. You can ask for a Soft Proof and it will
> show you an approximation of what will be printed based on the CMYK
> printer profile you specified. It can also show you out-of-gamut colors.

Last time I did a softproof in GIMP I ended up with darker and less
saturated prints. So I did a simple test --- captured screenshots of a
window holding "normal" view of a photo and a "softproof", then merged
them into a multilayer image and changed softproof shot's layer mode
to "difference". Everything except just few pixels was black. I was
probably doing something really stupid, but to me it sounded like
softproof was broken. It was fairly recently and I didn't have time to
write a proper report (and I didn't try that with other photos). If
you are interested, I still could do that.

Alexandre