Maciej Pilichowski ( wrote (in part)  (on 2009-05-14 at

> But for zooming out there is no such "cheap" workaround. Image:
> letters are off the screen, digits are visible. | denotes edges
> Now -- I would like to zoom out on "5" (I would like to focus on that
> area), how do I do?
> a) move mouse over "1" (sic!) and zoom out
> b) move mouse over "5", zoom out, and then scroll the image
> ad.b) this is tiresome
> ad.a) this is completely counter-intuitive, in order to zoom out
> element X I need to zoom out the opposite of X. This is more
> problematic with conversion when car driver gets on yacht
> (left<->right problem)
If you've zoomed in using the Zoom tool and drawing an area with
mouse-click and drag ...
as you say - not easily discoverable, but once discovered, moving mouse
to extreme left (or slightly better results extreme top left)  appears
to leave desired area always visible though at some point a mouse wheel
scroll may be necessary.

However (I hadn't tried this before) if with zoom-tool you do
Ctrl+click+drag to define "area of interest" then release AFAICT the
"area of interest" always remains visible. Possible problem (?) - you
may find it zooms out "too quickly". Again AFAICT ctrl+drag-drop a
"large" area gives better results than a "small" area.
ie. small area  vs large area zoom-out may indicate why ctrl+click
zoom-out may be giving you problems?