Hi,

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 21:55 +0200, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Friday 15 May 2009 21:38:04 Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > Keeping the pixel under the mouse cursor fixed has the advantage
> > that the behavior for zooming in and out is consistent.
>
> Well, it would be consistent if gimp consistently kept this
> pixel-cursor relation. But it is not (gimp 2.6.6). Open any image
> smaller than window, point out on anything not in center. Zoom in.
> Voila, you are pointing at something else now, because gimp does not
> shift view of the image.

We had it implemented that way, but it caused too much other problems.
You can follow all this by reading the mailing-list archives and by
studying the specs published at http://gui.gimp.org/  Of course we are
open to improves these specifications further. But your proposals should
be made after understanding the reasons for the current behavior.

Sven