On Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 23:01:50, Jay Smith wrote:

> However, I have used a number of other programs where Export is a menu
> item -- and I have not really understood why that Export was offered
> separately.  In those programs, one could Save As to a few dozen
> formats, but had to use Export to accomplish a similar goal to a few
> other formats.

In those programs Export is usually used when the output format is
significantly different from the program's native format (eg. when you
want to create a bitmap from a vector drawing program, or when you
create a PDF - in both of these cases, you wouldn't be able to open
the resulting file in the original program, and edit it like you can
do with the formats that can be saved to; of course, you can edit the
bitmaps you "export" in GIMP 2.7, so I find this "feature" annoying).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

This will hurt me more than it hurts you.
       -- Hare's Additional Lie