first, thanks for the help from those who replied (Liam: hilarious)

Akira wrote:

> I usually click with a selection tool on any area outside the active
> selection.
> But this isn't always fast to do. For example another tool may be
> currently selected, or the selection method may be set to addition,
> subtraction or intersection.

you hit the issue on the head. all of this is not very fast,
except ctrl-shift-a, but that is a shortcut. also the tool
changing feels awkward, and is simply likely if one has operated
on the selected pixels.

what I am missing is a direct way to end the selection state.

<brainstorm>

- like a close box [x] on the top-right of the marching ants
- or (another shortcut actually) press <esc> (may be taken in some
states)

</brainstorm>

     --ps

             man + machine interface works