Is there an official guide for compiling the latest development release,
Gimp 2.7.1, on Linux?
I have Ubuntu 10.04 but I'm not a programmer, and the installation
instructions on the gimp.org website are geared towards people who know what
they are doing. Which I'm not - and thereofre they are meaningless to me.
There are several guides to compiling Gimp on the web, but they all seem
different and since I don't understand what I'm doing I'm afraid I'll muck
something up if I choose the wrong one - or just waste my time.

Alternatively, are there any plans to provide binaries to this version
anytime soon?