> Whether you have/had the authority
> to grant that permission is another question.

I should note that nowadays such requests coming to me are for PSPI,
not GIMP itself, as I haven't built and distributed any GIMP binaries
in a long time. When they used to ask for "permission" to redistribute
GIMP, I did always try to reply "I can't give the permission even if I
wanted, but you don't need it anyway" or something to that effect.

(Also for PSPI, I always reply "you don't need to ask for permission",
but some insist. Not often nowadays though.)