> selling the software on ebay. In my country (germany) some people do not
> have access to broadband internet and like to buy a CD of the software.

GIMP has been relatively often distributed on CDs that come with
relevant magazines, also in Germany. Very recently even, I know
because some of these publishers tend to ask for permission (even if
they don't have to) and have asked for my postal address and sent me
copies... And like ten years ago I received some Japanese computer
graphics magazine (which was not very useful) for maybe a year after
"giving permission" to distribute a Windows build I had done back
then...

--tml