Hi,

well, we already agreed that the modifier keys need some rework. I volunteer
to do the job, but I don't want to start hacking before we have discussed the
issue and found a suitable solution. So, to start the discussion, here's a
list of the current state. Many thanks to Sven Riedel who helped to create
this
list:

All Selection tools:
   on click:   <Shift>  add
                <Ctrl>  subtract
        <Shift>+<Ctrl>  intersect
                 <Alt>  move

Rectangular / Elliptical Select:
   on drag:    <Shift>  square / circle
                <Ctrl>  from center
                 <Alt>  [unused]

Free Select:
   [ no modifiers used ]

Fuzzy Select:
   [ no modifiers used ]

Bezier Select:
   [ we need to replace the intersect cursor here! ]
  on point:    <Shift>  move tangent
                <Ctrl>  move point
                 <Alt>  move all points

Intelligent Scissors:
   [ cursors are broken here? ]
   [ no modifiers used ]

Move:
              <Shift>  move current layer
                <Alt>  move Selection

Magnify:
              <Shift>  zoom out

Crop & Resize:
               <Ctrl>  toggle Crop/Resize
                <Alt>  toggle Allow Enlarge

Flip:
              <Ctrl>  toggle horizontal/vertical

Text:
   [ no modifiers used ]

Color Picker:
   [ no modifiers used ]

Bucket Fill:
              <Ctrl>  toggle FG/BG Color Fill

Blend:
             <Shift>  15 degrees steps
              <Ctrl>  horizontal
               <Alt>  vertical
        <Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal (45 degress)

Pencil:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  pick FG color
               <Alt>  pick BG color

Paintbrush:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  pick FG color
               <Alt>  pick BG color

Eraser:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  toggle anti erase

Airbrush:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  pick FG color
               <Alt>  pick BG color

Clone Tool:
             <Shift>  line draw   [ no preview ]
              <Ctrl>  select source

Convolver:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  toggle blur/sharpen [ collides with line draw ]

Ink:
               <Alt>  perfect movement (?)

Dodge or Burn:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw
              <Ctrl>  toggle dodge/burn

Smudge:
             <Shift>  line draw
      <Shift>+<Ctrl>  horizontal line draw
       <Shift>+<Alt>  vertical line draw
<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal line draw

Measure:
   on point: <Shift>  add point
              <Ctrl>  add horizontal guide
               <Alt>  add vertical guide
   on drag:   <Ctrl>  horizontal movement
               <Alt>  vertical movement
        <Ctrl>+<Alt>  diagonal movement

What a perfect mess!! Suggestions on how to make this useful and
consistent are welcome... Also, please inform me if this is list
is wrong or incomplete.

Salut, Sven