On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 11:55:20AM -0700, "Michael J. Hammel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm curious why any new plug-ins should be added to the core *at all*.
> Gimp's distribution is fairly large as it is.  Isn't it getting time to

One goal of the seperate cvs is to make the choice between "distribute it"
and "leave it out" very easy.

I imagine that, before some future release, we can just edit a simple
configuration file that specifies which plug-ins are part of the
distribution and which aren't.

That way removing a plug-in from gimp-2.0 would be a matter of commenting
out a line somewhere.

> necessarily be included with the core package.  Throwing in the kitchen
> sink is what's starting to bloat some Linux distros.

Well, most distros tend to compile every optional feature they cna find
into a program. It's already not too difficult to tailor a distribution,
but nobody does that.

One possible reason is that it is a pain in the ass to install additional
plug-ins. Some things, like translations, must be part of the distribution
currently.