Sven Neumann wrote:
> Responding to what Carey Bunks wrote:

>> My experience is that this does not work in practice.  I spent a lot
>> of time last summer trying to get Grokking the GIMP onto gimp.org and
>> just could not convince anyone to allow me to do it.  That's why I
>> created Gimp-Savvy.com.
>
> Who did you ask then? Took me a little luck and a few minutes on irc
> to get sven.gimp.org and freetype.gimp.org registered under the
> gimp.org domain for example.

<snipped...>

He asked this very mailing list. [See attached] For just
one link. And while only Dr. Bunks can authoritatively
state the response he received, apparently it was zip.

Perhaps only the IRC is the proper forum for gimp administrivia...

On the other hand, perhaps this is why we really, truly need
a gimp.org  webmistress/master - or a group that can make the role
function - so as to realize requests such as this. That is the
true issue. As any number of posters have observed, bits can
live anywhere - who cares where they live. Sourceforge. gimp.org.
Anyplace is fine by me.

It's indexing, so that the useful, high-quality, bits may
be referenced in short order from a well-known starting point,
that is what's really called for, IMHO. www.gimp.org is useful
as a starting point to wherever the bits may be because the URL
is well established in many peoples' minds, but the key is to
have the site *run*. In part that means catching requests
such as Carey's, having judgement that the offered link is of
high quality, and simply putting the link there. The effort is
not in writing an HTML anchor, of course, but having time to
field requests, look at what's available, and exercising a
discriminating judgement upon what's found.

Now, to date, no one with the savvy to discriminate high-
quality bits from cruft has come forward to make the site
*run*. I presume its because anyone with such ability also
realizes the time commitment required and few readers here
are so immature as to volunteer for something they cannot
undertake to complete. But isn't that how open source
initiatives die, afterall, for want of initiative?

Be good, be well

Garry Osgood