On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:28:07 +0200
Jehan <je...@girinstud.io> wrote:
> Also I notice that in GNOME 3, there is no taskbar anymore,

It's available as an extension...

> it groups
> windows per application (which means that alt-tab does not switch
> between several GIMP windows anymore),

There are extensions to change that, too...

> and it always show the
> application icon (whether in alt-tab or anywhere else).

For me I see the image thumbnail both in the window list bar at the bottom of
the screen and in alt-tab.

> Moreover I think most alt-tab UI (or alt-~  in GNOME 3) would show
> previews of the windows (bigger than small thumbnail icons) these days,
> no?

> Does it still make sense to generate icon thumbnails?

There's a performance improvement for larger images if we don't, unless the
user has the active image thumbnail shown on the toolbox. But maybe they are
also needed for the undo history?