On 21 August 2012 10:12, Alessia <ale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexandre Prokoudine ha scritto:

> Sorry if I jump in the discussion so out of nowhere ( I'm currently reading
> it because I use Gimp even if I'm not a professional).
> I can understand your ( I mean your and developers') reasons, even if in the
> case of GIMP and other software I don't totally agree. But reading it I'm
> realizing that maybe I've lost an important piece of information: Does the
> target GIMP are really just Professionals ( photographers , or image
> editors)?

Of course not.
 The only thing that has changed is that it is now very hard for one
to shoot oneself
on the foot by opening an image, playing around with it, and
overwriting the original without
really meaning it.

What happened I think could be called
"enforcement  of the perception that an Image open in GIMP is more
than a single-layer, flat thing, with
 no layers, no selection, etc..."

On explaining why this approach is preferred, the developers use to
say something along
 "changes in the program are geared  towards making the tools better
for professionals ".
People disliking the feature, uses a twiwsted logic normally only seem
in jokes and childish plays to say
"if it is good for pros, it is bad for amateurs".

Based on the fact that there is no going back on this development decision,
 unhappy people started this crying as if GIMP developers where their enemies.
that is so even though nothing prevents one of assigning whatever shortcuts
 he wants to the "export" menu options, (I missed the part about the
 for closing, when leaving GIMP - but that, as shown, can be simply
changed by a
two liner script as Akanna had done)

And it is really that: not any o f the other fantastic features
 included in GIMP 2.8 is been commented upon,
and none of them changes the way of working of anybody -
instead, they just add even more possibilities for great and
fantastic work by amateurs and professionals alike.
(resource tagging, paint dynamics, new tools, etc...)