> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 03:55:04 +0100
> From: si...@budig.de
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] export vs save
> Daniel Hauck (dan...@yacg.com) wrote:
> > "Owe"?  Therein lies a kind of perspective concern.  It's not a
> > question of what is owed, but is what is wanted.  The response to
> > something which is wanted is what matters here.
> Wanted by whom? We had lots of users here expressing their desire in a
> tone which clearly showed that they think they can demand from "the
> developers" to implement the features they want. They seem to think that
> they can threaten us with a switch to photoshop. [*]
> > The change is viewed by many as unwelcome.  The responses to their
> > wants are unkind and devoid of understanding.

Can I play the "links or it didn't happen" card?  Sometimes a few URL's can go
a long way in stifling objections.

> And to be specific regarding export-vs-save:
> And it is about a tiny change in the menus. Nobody seems to care about
> the important stuff...

2.8's Save/export spec is, objectively speaking, a "breaking change" as it does
limit the functionality of a previous command (even though the previous
functionality still exists, just under a different command), and in this case
it's an operation which is very strongly entrenched into any user's peculiar

> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> From: j...@cjsa.com
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 23:16:40 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] export vs save
> Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> writes:
> >On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Burlen Loring wrote:
> >> In the nearly 10 years of using the gimp I can't think of a single time
> >> where this would be useful. I've never had a problem differentiating
> >> between xcf and other formats. That use case is covered quite nicely by
> >> "save a copy".
> >But it isn't :)

Anyone remember my (somewhat controversial) suggestion way back to merge "save
a copy" with "export" since the only (user-visible) difference between them is
the target file format?

-- Stratadrake