> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> From: unham...@fsfe.org
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:41 +0200
> Subject: [Gimp-user] freehand selection lost since image was already selected
> Say you've zoomed in to start this painstaking freehand selection with
> lots and lots of points, and when you get to the end, nothing gets
> selected. Then you notice that, once again, you had done a Select All
> some time ago (invisible because you zoomed in) and forgotten to Select
> None before clicking the lasso.

Alternate suggestion - when the current selection exceeds the boundaries of the
current image window, render marching ants along the window's interior border.
(Maybe with half opacity to help distinguish it from the selection's actual

However, I also agree it's not a common issue because the default mode for all
select tools is "replace".  Note that when you use modifier keys to activate a
selector mode you can release the modifier immediately after making the first
click (useful for a variety of things, like constrained-angle-polygonal or
square-not-rectangular selections).

-- Stratadrake
List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org